Introduction and origin –
Pongal is the harvest festival dedicated to the Sun god. The term ‘Pongal’ is derived from Tamil literature which means to boil. It is a four day Hindu festival held throughout south India which falls in the month of Thai. Pongal happens to be name of Dish made up of sweetened rice that is boiled with lentils.
The story behind the celebration of this festival is that Lord Shiva once asked Basava (Bull) to visit the Earth and ask the Human to have an oil massage and bath every day but Basava (Bull) announced that eat daily and have an oil bath once a month. This makes Lord Shiva furious and he cursed the Basava (Bull) to live on the Earth forever and said that Basava (Bull) has to plough the fields and help people produce more food. Hence, people after harvesting celebrate this festival with crops and cattle.
Ways of Celebration-
Pongal celebrates Nature and its essentiality, festival is a four-day celebration affair. Each day marked by different festivities- First day is called the Bhogi festival the Second day is called Thai Pongal the Third day is called Mattu Pongal and the Fourth day is called Kaanum Pongal. Celebration starts with worshipping lord Sun and offering him Pongal (Sweet dish cooked in earthen pots on open fires). Bathing in Ganga River doing donations are other important rituals of this day.
How kids celebrate it?-
On this day Kids and families gather on the riverbanks and have a picnic together. They also dance the traditional dances Kummi and Kolattam. It is a custom to clean every nook and corner of the house a few days before the festival. On Pongal, wearing new clothes is customary. Kids watch Jallikattu sport held on this day.
Ways to wish Pongal –
- Let the warmth of the auspicious festival of Pongal fill your home with joy. Have a wonderful Pongal.
- Between beautiful kolams and auspicious decoration, let us meet, greet and, of course, eat, Happy Pongal.
- May Lord Surya shine his divine blessings on your home Wish you and your family a Happy Pongal!
- Sending you out the most fortunate warm wishes on the happy occasion of Pongal, have lots of fun and enjoy your every moment. Happy Pongal!
- May this day of Bhogi Pongal, usher in goodness, peace, health and happiness to your life. Here’s sending you my best wishes and warm Bhogi greetings.
Q1. Why we celebrate Pongal?
Q2. How Pongal is celebrated?
Q3. Write down wishes for Pongal.
Q4.Suggest some gifts for Pongal.
Q5. Write down a diary entry for Pongal.